Monday morning news - 13/12/04
Victoria Pendleton wins the star-studded Keirin
The latest round of the track cycling World Cup in Los Angeles saw GB riders in action. The women's keirin was one of the best fields seen on the track for years; featuring world champion Clara Sanchez (France), Olympic double medalist Anna Meares (Australia, gold, 500 meter and bronze, sprint) Natalia Tsylinskaya (Belarus) - who is the Olympic bronze medalist in the 500 metres and had already won the Sprint and 500 meter gold medal at this meeting. Also Italy's double medalist Elisa Frisoni (silver, 500 meter and bronze, Sprint) the current junior world champion Shuang Guo (China). Victoria Pendleton won this closely contested final which puts her high up on the list of future stars to look out for at the next Olympics.
Elsewhere at the World Cup Jason Queally won silver in the Kilo and looks set to take the overall title, Emma Davies took silver in the 3000 metres pursuit and a bronze in the women's scratch race. Chris Newton was also third in the Points. Another Madison and another crash... Dean Downing and Tony Gibb hit the deck but re-mounted and finished 6th. Tony Gibb was also 6th in the men's scratch race. Ross Edgar, who continues to improve, was 7th in the Sprint.
Crawforth wraps up Trophy
Jody Crawforth (Evans Cycles RT) won the final round of the National Trophy Cyclo Cross in the West Midlands yesterday and therefore took the overall series win. Matt Ellis finished second overall despite having the same points (Crawforth had more wins to his name). Mountain Bike 'veteran' Nick Craig was third and former Tour de France 'veteran' Adrian Timmis was fourth.
1. Jody Crawforth Evans Cycles RT 190pts
2. Matt Ellis Planet X/On One 190pts
3. Nick Craig Team Persil 164pts
4. Adrian Timmis Pinarello RT 151pts
5. Simon Richardson Ace RT/Farmers/Impsport/Dolan 139pts
6. Liam Killeen Subaru/Gary Fisher 127pts
7. Rob Jebb Wheelbase/Ron Hill 121pts
8. Jim Bryan Ace RT/Farmers/Impsport/Dolan 121pts
9. Daniel Alexander Matlock CC/Wards /Impsport/Farmers 108pts
10. Ian Bibby Science in Sport.com 106pts
Victoria Wilkinson won the final round and the overall despite some serious competition from Team Bottecchia riders Helen Wyman and Gabriella Day.
1. Victoria Wilkinson Science in Sport.com 184pts
2. Helen Wyman Team Bottecchia/Fat Birds Don't Fly 178pts
3. Gabriella Day Team Bottecchia/Fat Birds Don't Fly 142pts