We’ve got loads of pictures from Flèche Wallonne and we’re slowly sorting through them all. Please check back later when we’ll add a few of the chasing groups and the final selection.
We arrived in Huy as two riders had managed to break away: Frederic Finot (FDJ) and José-Luis Arrieta (A2GR) This set the tone for the next few hours as the peloton slowly reeled them in. We were pleased to see Spanish climber (and now sprinter) Alejandro Valverde win from a very respectable group.
We also rode the final 30 kilometres or so and this is not an easy race, the finale is steep and twisty and split the peloton into several very tired looking but stupidly fast groups. Then the final insult – a grovel to the line up the Mur de Huy.
Flèche Wallonne – Results – 202 km
1. Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Caisse d’Epargne-Illes Balears 4.42.45 (42.865 km/h)
2. Samuel Sanchez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
3. Karsten Kroon (Ned) Team CSC
4. Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC
5. Patrik Sinkewitz (Ger) T-Mobile Team 0.03
6. Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas 0.05
7. David Etxebarria (Spa) Liberty Seguros-Würth Team 0.07
8. Koldo Gil Perez (Spa) Saunier Duval-Prodir 0.10
9. Serguei Ivanov (Rus) T-Mobile Team 0.12
10. Matthias Kessler (Ger) T-Mobile Team 0.14
More at the Flèche Wallonne Official Site