Chris Opie (Team UK Youth) has won the eighth round of the 2013 Pearl Izumi Tour Series in Canary Wharf, London.
Opie, aggressive throughout the race, won a bunch sprint ahead of double Olympic champion, Ed Clancy (Rapha Condor Sharp), and Node4-Giordana’s Raymond Van Uden.
The Cornishman also won the IG Sprints competition and set the Costa Express fastest lap.
Opie’s victory was the pinnacle of a successful evening for Team UK Youth, whose owner, Nigel Mansell, the 1992 Formula One world champion, watched from the pit area.
His team increased their lead at the top of the team standings by posting Marcin Bialoblocki, Tobyn Horton and Yanto Barker in fourth, fifth and sixth places respectively.
Their strong performance coincided with a difficult evening for their closest rivals, Raleigh, who failed to place a rider in the top 10, and now trail Team UK Youth by 10 points in the team standings.
The Nottingham team retains the overall lead in the IG Sprints competition with Tom Scully.
Madison Genesis, whose rider Alex Peters, was involved in a three-man pile up on the penultimate lap, remain third overall, two points behind Raleigh.
Televised highlights will be shown tonight at 10pm on ITV4, and repeated on the same channel tomorrow at 8am.
The ninth round of the Pearl Izumi Tour Series will be held in Woking on Tuesday June 11, before the series moves north for the final two instalments of this year’s series, with racing in Norfolk on Thursday June 13 and Ipswich on Friday June 14.
Pearl Izumi Tour Series 2013: round eight – result
1) Chris Opie (GBR) – Team UK Youth
2) Ed Clancy (GBR) – Rapha Condor JLT
3) Roman Van Uden (NZL) – Node4-Giordana
4) Marcin Bialoblocki (POL) – Team UK Youth
5) Tobyn Horton (GBR) – Team UK Youth
6) Yanto Barker (GBR) – Team UK Youth
7) Dan Barry (NZL) – Node4-Giordana
8) David McGowan (GBR) – Metaltek-Knights of Old
9) Jack Pullar (GBR) – Madison Genesis
10) Tom Murray (GBR) – Metaltek-Knights of Old
1) Team UK Youth – 73 points
2) Team Raleigh – 63 points
3) Madison Genesis – 61 points
4) Rapha Condor JLT – 57 points
5) Node4-Giordana – 53 points
6) Metaltek- Knights of Old – 46 points
7) MG Maxifuel – 35 points
8) Hope Factory Racing – 21 points
9) Team IG-Sigma Sport – 20 points
10) Spin Rotor – Primal – C-Originals – 11 points