Dragon Ride – Wales
Reid y Ddraig – Cymru
Promoted and organised by BreakAway Cycling on the 19th June 2005 – this is a circular, 100 and 150km non competitive road cycle endurance ride over the hills and valleys of South Wales. The ride is designed for experienced cyclists, so unlike shorter charity rides this it is not a ‘leisure’ ride – so should only be attempted by reasonably fit and competent riders.
The event takes place a few weeks before the Tour of France Etape participation ride, which last year had 1246 British entrants.Event details:
- Date of the event is Sunday the 19th of June 2005
- Entry is open to 600 riders paying an entry fee of £10 each (£20 for tandems).
- Start and finish, Bridgend Recreation Centre, Bridgend, South Wales. Signing on from 8.30 am. Start 9.30 am.
- Computerised timing is available.
- Route will be identified by direction arrows at road junctions, route details will also be provided to riders.
- Refreshment points will be situated along the route
- Mechanical backup vehicle
- A ‘broom wagon’ will be provided for riders who get into difficulty
Medical cover will be by St Johns Ambulance Brigade.
Bridgend, in South Wales, is situated half way between Cardiff and Swansea. Bridgend is easily accessible from the rest of the UK with a good road (M4) and Main Line rail service. Cardiff Wales Airport is close by for international visitors.
100km Medio Fondo
Start Bridgend Recreation Centre at 09.30am, west along the A48 to Port Talbot, A4107 Afan Valley and B4287 to Cimla (Neath). North (B4242) via Resolven and Glyn-neath (150km split), Hirwaun, South on A4061 over the Rhigos mountain road to Treorchy, Bwlch mountain road, Nantymoel, A4903 Llangeinor, A46064 Brynmenyn, A4063 back to Bridgend.
(Approximately 1300m of climbing, 180m up on 2004)
Estimated times for 100km ride, Min 3hrs, Max 6hrs.
150km Gran Fondo
As above route plus 50km loop A4109/A4221 Abercraf, A4067 Dan-yr Ogof, Defynnog A4215, Heol Senni, Ystradfellte, Penderyn. Rejoin above route at Hirwaun.
(Approx. 2250m of climbing, 300m up on 2004)
Estimated times for 150km ride, Min 4.5hrs, Max 8 hrs.
Promoted by (and entries from):
33 Highbury Crescent Bridgend. South Wales. CF31 4RD.
E-mail: BreakAway Cycling
Tel: 01656 659116
You can also register on-line here