Did we tell you that there were two IF bikes on the current test circuit? Well the last one (the XS ti/carbon mix) was lucky, it got a week and a bit of sunny weather and a Mallorcan training camp to endure… so a month later and it’s still raining hard in good old blighty – perfect environment to test a tig welded steel bike then!According to the website’s blurb:
“For 2006 the Crown Jewel is chock full of options, mutations, and wicked variations. The new Crown Jewel S.E.C. is a cauldron of trouble for the competition. The Crown Jewel was chosen, yet again, by Road Bike Review as the “Best Frame for 2004” by customers online reviews based on overall satisfaction.
For each frame, Independent use a blend of the best custom tubing from True Temper, Columbus, Dedacciai, and Reynolds U.K. This gives them the ability to make the frame and fork super light, agile, and tuned to the rider’s needs. When coupled with a carbon fibre monostay and fork from Reynolds Composites the new CJ-SEC becomes a serious contender.
Independent are always on the hunt for better tubing and reserve the right, at any given moment, to upgrade the tubing selection from there suppliers when, or if, it becomes available. Take this bike out on the open road and experience first hand what great design, quality materials, and exquisite craftsmanship can do to maximize your performance.”
– Refined, race proven design
– Size specific tubing to assure uniform ride quality throughout the range of sizes
– Gusset at intersection of head tube and down tube for optimum strength and stiffness
– Bottom bracket custom machined and relieved for strength and light weight
– Dropouts custom machined and heat treated for added strength
– Tubes are sealed except the seat tube to minimize corrosion and enhance frame longevity
– Exquisite welding that must be seen to be believed
– Frames proportioned for women available
– Choice of 23 stock colours and 9 decal colour combinations applied in Independents PPG certified paint shop
-Warranty of craftsmanship for the life of the original owner and materials for 5
On our test bike we’ve got a full Dura-Ace 10 speed gruppo. A smattering of Thomson parts. A Chris King Aheadset. So not too shabby, it’s a pretty good specifiction… it certainly is pretty.
We’ll let you know the full story in a week or so’s time.
• Sizes: Custom to order
• Colours: Custom to order
– Steel Crown Jewel – £1365 (frame and steel fork)
– Steel Crown Jewel SE – £1470 (frame, carbon fork and silver headbadge)
– Steel Crown Jewel SEC – £1665 (frame with carbon seatstays, carbon fork and silver headbadge)
True Temper fork
Tidy frame detailing
Attention to detail…
…from head to toe
The Crown Jewels