Day three saw some tightly contested finals for both the men and the women.
Men’s Sprint Finals
It was Craig Maclean (Dolan) who’s experience and sheer power saw him through to win the Gold from the strong Science in Sport rider Ross Edgar. Chris Hoy took to the podium yet again to take the Bronze position after the ride off against Science in Sport’s Matt Crampton.
Ride off for Bronze
Chris HOY beat Matthew CRAMPTON scienceinsport.com 2-0 (10.821 & 10.644)
Ride off for Gold and Silver
Craig MacLEAN Terry Dolan.com beat Ross EDGAR scienceinsport.com 2-0 (10.846 & 11.015)
Women’s Points Race Race
Kate Cullen (City of Edinburgh RC) dominated the women’s Scratch Race, winning six out of the 12 sprints to finish 20 points ahead of Silver medallist, Alex Greenfield (Cardiff Ajax). Alex’s Cardiff team mate Katie Curis took the Bronze after over 43 minutes of incredibly testing racing.
Time 43 mins 31 secs
1. Kate CULLEN City of Edinburgh RC 38pts
2. Alexandra GREENFIELD Cardiff Ajax CC 18pts
3. Katie CURTIS Cardiff Ajax CC 17pts
4. Elizabeth ARMITSTEAD Raleigh ERV 12pts
5. Joanna ROWSELL VC Londres 11pts
6. Nikki HARRIS scienceinsport.com 8pts
7. Becki RIMMINGTON Melton Olympic CC 8pts
8. Carrie BEDINGFIELD Team Luciano-Kuota 5pts
9. Jo TINDLEY VC Londres 5pts
10. Femke VAN SCHELVEN Fat Birds UK 1pt
Disability Championships Pursuit
Sarah Bailey took a well deserved Gold for this event. After deciding to focus on her Cycling in the last year as opposed to her back ground in Swimming Sarah is on excellent form on the bike and put in a number of top rides this week.
Pursuit (calculated on percentage of target time, which is world’s best for category)
1. Sarah BAILEY VC St Raphael 3.54.513 ((target time 3.51.67 – 98.788)
2. Darren KENNY Arctic-Shorter-Rochford RT 3.53.271 (target time 3.42.65 – 95.447)
3. Zoe MARUSIAK BC Private Member 5.18.233 (target time 4.15.92 – 80.419)
Men’s 20kms Scratch Race
Chris Newton (Recycling.co.uk), Kieran Page (AVC Aix-En-Provence) and Ian Stannard (Recycling.co.uk) rode a hard race to take the podium spots after the Men’s Scratch. After covering the 20km distance in just 23m 51s it was the endurance in these men’s legs that paid off, keeping the pace consistently high throughout, leaving little opportunity for the sprinters to take it on the line.
1. Chris NEWTON Recycling.co.uk
2. Kieran PAGE AVC Aix-En-Provence
3. Ian STANNARD Recycling.co.uk
4. Ed CLANCY Landbrouwkredit @ 1 lap
5. Jonathan BELLIS Glendene CC
6. Peter KENNAUGH Glendene CC
7. Malcolm ELLIOTT Plowman Craven RT
8. Evan OLIPHANT Recycling.co.uk
9. Steven BURKE Le Coq Sportif-Dolan-SIS @2 laps
10. Adam BLYTHE Pinerello RT
11. Geraint THOMAS Recycling.co.uk
12. Ben SWIFT Recycling.co.uk
13. Tom SMITH Plowman Craven RT
14. James McCALLUM The Bicycleworks.com
15. Luke ROWE Glendene CC
16. Russell HAMPTON Glendene CC
More reports and photos to follow later in the week.