Mavic have launched two new full carbon clinchers: the Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL C and Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C. In doing so, Mavic have dropped the aluminium insert previously found in old carbon clincher models, while also introducing an updated aero profile and a patented laser treatment technique to offer ‘industry leading’ wet weather braking performance.
A quick history lesson: Mavic unveiled their first carbon clincher wheelset, the Cosmic Carbone 40 C, in 2013 – except it wasn’t a full carbon clincher but a hybrid, as Mavic used an aluminium insert within the rim to help dissipate heat. Mavic called the Cosmic Carbone 40 C “the first reliable carbon clincher” as a result and the Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL followed in 2015, but again it used an aluminium rim bed.
Now Mavic have gone all in on carbon clinchers – switching to a full carbon rim, updating the 25mm-deep Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL C and introducing the 40mm-deep Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C. If you’re not familiar, Mavic’s Cosmic and Ksyrium ranges cover a number of wheelsets, with the Cosmic line being pitched as ‘fast and light’, combining low weight and aerodynamics, while the Ksyrium line of ‘endurance road wheels’ are designed to marry durability, reliability and performance.
There are also new disc-specific and tubular versions of both the Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL C and Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C on the way – but nothing tubeless. That said, the key news here is the carbon clinchers, so here are the headline features from the launch in Nice, France, before we get into more detail – or if you want to skip to our first ride review, then just head this way.
- Improved carbon tech prompts switch to full carbon rim
- Seamless 17mm-wide carbon rim bed optimised for 25mm tyres
- New Cosmic aero rim profile claimed to be faster than Zipp
- Laser treatment technique to improve wet weather braking
- Weights: 1,450g for Cosmic Pro Carbon SL, 1,390g for Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL
- Pricing: £1,450 for Cosmic Pro Carbon SL, £1,500 for Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL
- Disc and tubular versions also available