Rui Costa (Movistar) has won the final stage of the 2013 Tour de Suisse and successfully defended his title.
The Portugese rider, who won the race for the first time last year, finished some 21 seconds ahead of Tanel Kangert (Astana) in today’s 26.8km time trial from Bad Ragaz to Flumserberg.
Bauke Mollema (Blanco Pro Cycling) who won stage two and finished second to Costa on stage seven, finished second overall after completing today’s time trial with the third fastest time.
Swiss hero, Mathias Frank (BMC Racing), who had led the race since stage three, suffered a disappointing performance today, finishing nearly two minutes behind Costa, and slipping to fifth on the final general classification.
Roman Kreuziger (Saxo-Tinkoff) secured the final spot on the final podium by posting the seventh fastest time in the time trial.
Costa, who appears to be riding himself into form after finishing fifth overall at the Volta ao Algarve in March, and third overall at April’s Tour de Romandie, is likely to ride in support of Alejandro Valverde at the Tour de France, which starts on June 29.
Ireland’s Daniel Martin, winner of the Volta a Catalunya, finished eighth overall in Switzerland.
Tour de Suisse 2013: stage nine – result
1) Rui Costa (POR) – Movistar – 51.56
2) Tanel Kangert (EST) – Astana +21″
3) Bauke Mollema (NED) – Blanco Pro Cycling +29″
4) Jean-Christophe Peraud (FRA) – Ag2r-La Mondiale +42″
5) Andrey Amador (COS) – Movistar +43″
6) Thibaut Pinot (FRA) – FDJ
7) Roman Kreuziger (CZE) – Saxo-Tinkoff +1.00
8) Simon Spilak (SLO) – Katusha +1.06
9) Janez Brajkovic (SLO) – Astana
10) Tejay van Garderen (USA) – BMC Racing +1.19
1) Rui Costa (POR) – Movistar – 31.08.11
2) Bauke Mollema (NED) – Blanco Pro Cycling +1.02
3) Roman Kreuziger (CZE) – Saxo-Tinkoff +1.10
4) Thibaut Pinot (FRA) – FDJ +1.26
5) Mathias Frank (SUI) – BMC Racing +1.43
6) Tanel Kangert (EST) – Astana +1.51
7) Tejay Van Garderen (USA) – BMC Racing + 2.23
8) Daniel Martin (IRL) – Garmin-Sharp +2.42
9) Simon Spilak (SLO) – Katusha – ST
10) Cameron Meyer (AUS) – Orica-GreenEDGE +3.44