Chris Opie (Team UK Youth) took his second Pearl Izumi Tour Series victory of the week by winning in Aylsham.
The Cornishman capped another highly successful evening for his team, and claimed victory in the Costa Express fastest lap competition.
Opie’s victory was the driving factor in another team victory for Team UK Youth, who posted a further three riders behind him in the top 10 – Yanto Barker, Niklas Gustavsson and Marcin Bialoblocki.
The Nigel Mansell-owned squad now has seven victories from the 2013 campaign across team and individual categories, equaling the record set last year by the all-conquering Endura Racing squad.
The decisive five-man break in Aylsham included some of the most successful riders in the series. Kristian House (Rapha Condor JLT), winner in Durham, Redditch winner, Tom Scully (Team Raleigh), and Opie, who crossed the line first in Canary Wharf, were joined by Node4 Giordana’s Roman Van Uden, and Dean Downing of Madison Genesis, who had twice finished second.
Downing and Van Uden broke clear of their rivals, but Opie and House regained contact with two laps to go. House wasted little time in launching an attack of his own, but was hauled back, teeing up a final sprint, won by Opie, with Scully second and Downing third.
Scully’s second place was enough for him to seal a series victory in the IG Sprints competition, and he will wear the gold jersey for the final round of the series in Ipswich tomorrow.
Three races will be held in the Suffolk town, including the Criterium, a team time trial, and a sprint elimination competition.
Pearl Izumi Tour Series 2013: round eight – result
1) Chris Opie (GBR) – Team UK Youth
2) Tom Scully (NZL) – Team Raleigh
3) Dean Downing (GBR) – Madison Genesis
4) Roman Van Uden (NZL) – Node4-Giordana
5) Kristian House (GBR) – Rapha Condor JLT
6) Yanto Barker (GBR) – Team UK Youth
7) Niklas Gustavsson (SWE) – Team UK Youth
8) Liam Holohan (GBR) – Madison Genesis
9) Alex Peters (GBR) – Madison Genesis
10) Marcin Bialoblocki (POL) – Team UK Youth
1) Team UK Youth – 93 points
2) Team Raleigh – 78 points
3) Madison Genesis – 76 points
4) Rapha Condor JLT – 72 points
5) Node4-Giordana – 67 points
6) Metaltek-Knights of Old – 57 points
7) MG Maxifuel – 42 points
8) Hope Factory Racing – 27 points
9) Team IG-Sigma Sport – 25 points
10) Spin Rotor – Primal – C-Originals – 13 points